Sunday, October 2, 2011

Sweet Potato & Corn Chowder

Since the temperature in NJ has been more autumn like the past few days, we wanted to add a soup to this week's menu.  It takes a lot for me to absolutely love a soup, especially as a main event for dinner.  As we were going through our usual sites and books for recipes, I decided to look for a corn chowder recipe and I stumbled across a sweet potato & corn chowder.

Absolutely delicious!  I made a few variations to the recipe and am glad I did.  This was an absolutely delicious and filling chowder and will definitely be added to the frequently made recipes.



Ingredients:

  • 1 tsp. olive oil
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 red pepper, diced (I added this to the recipe)
  • 10 ounces frozen corn
  • 3-4 small sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
  • 1 cup water 1 cup chicken broth (I changed)
  • 1/4 tsp. paprika
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • 2 tbs. flour
  • 2 cups 1% milk

Directions

  1. Saute onion, red pepper, and garlic in oil over medium heat, for two minutes
  2. Add corn, potatoes, chicken broth, salt, pepper, and paprika. Bring to a boil on high heat.
  3. Once it boils, reduce heat to medium. Cook, covered, about 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
  4. In a small bowl, whisk flour into 1/2 cup of the milk, until smooth.
  5. Gradually add the flour and milk mixture to the vegetables, stirring constantly.
  6. Continue to stir as you add the rest of the milk, cooking until soup boils and thickens.
  7. If desired, use a stick blender for about 5-10 seconds to blend.  (I added this step as well.  I think it gave it that extra blend of the flavors melding together!)

No comments:

Post a Comment