Thursday, April 21, 2011

Recipe Swap:: Thanksgiving Burgers

The latest swap category was panini or sandwich.  I really like these swaps because since I have started documenting my weight loss journey it makes me go through my recipe box and remind me of what delicious dinners we have been missing.  I submitted another Rachael Ray recipe for Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes.  The link to the recipe is from my friend Lauren who received the recipe in the swap.

The recipe I received was for Thanksgiving Burgers from Lisa's Cooking Adventures.  My husband is always excited to see what recipes we receive and we were both looking forward to these burgers since last week.

I omitted the parsley since we aren't huge parsley fans.  I used shredded cheddar since we had that on hand.  The flavors were delicious and definitely tasted like Thanksgiving dinner sans stuffing!  The apple gave it such a great crunch and added flavor.  I have to admit that I was a bit hesitant about the cranberry sauce/mustard combo, but it was so tasty!!  Such an easy recipe to follow and definitely took me less than 30 minutes from prep to plating.  I totally forgot these were supposed to be on English muffins when I was at the store and bought panini rolls instead, which was way too big for the burger so next time I would use an english muffin or a smaller roll.

On the side, I made sweet potatoes fries to accompany the thanksgiving theme and tossed them in a cinnamon-agave mixture.




APPLE & CHEESE TURKEY BURGERS 
(Slightly adapted from a Rachael Ray recipe)

1.3  lbs ground turkey breast (1 pkg)
4 scallions, finely chopped
1/3 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley - I omitted
1 tablespoon grill seasoning
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
8 slices  cheese
1 green apple, cut into 12 slices
1/4 cup whole-berry cranberry sauce
2 tablespoons grainy mustard
4 sandwich-size english muffins, split and toasted


In a bowl, combine the turkey, scallions, parsley, grill seasoning and poultry seasoning. Form into 4 patties, pressing your thumb into the center of each to prevent it from bulging.
Heat a grill pan over medium high heat.   Add the patties and cook for 8 minutes on each side. Top each with 3 apple slices and 2 cheese slices, tent the pan with foil and cook until the cheese melts, 1 to 2 minutes.
In a small bowl, mix together the cranberry sauce and mustard; slather on the muffin tops; top with the patties and set the muffin tops into place.


Cinnamon-y Sweet Potato Fries
2 large yams, cut into sticks for fries
2 tbsp. agave syrup
1-2 tsp. ground cinnamon
a pinch of salt, if desired


Combine agave & cinnamon and toss with the sweet potato fries.  Layer the fries on a baking sheet and bake at 425º for about 25 minutes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment