Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Taking on a TRI

Well, not yet.  But training has begun. Every Tuesday and Thursday through the end of August.  I gave myself exactly 1 hour to prep myself for this decision and pack a bag with a towel, bike shoes, bathing suit, as well as my children so they could hang out in the babysitting room.   Now's my chance to train and what better way than with a group of fabulous women at the Y with the Tri Fit class.

Running and biking aren't a problem.  My goal for running is to improve my 5k time overall and not feel like I am going to puke at the end of every run.  But I think I fixed that issue (more on that later).  And as for biking, well, I am not sure since, wait-for-it, I am not an outdoor cyclist.  Say what? Yes, you read that correctly.  I have not ridden a bike outdoors since I was probably 12 years old.  I guess I just figured out what my goal should be during training, huh?

My weakest area is by far swimming.  Although in 4 training sessions, my progress has been incredible.    I finally (!!!) can swim with my face in the water.  Yes, picture me, swimming laps and I don't know how to breathe correctly.  But the one point is that I wanted to learn and am committed to practicing even if that means showing up at the pool on non-swimming days.

I amaze myself.  At how strong I am and my mental discipline that has gotten me to this point so far.  When I first began my fitness journey, my goal was to complete a 5k in under 40 minutes.  I think that goal was blown way out of the water.

And I found this motivational saying that I think depicts my final sentiments.

No comments:

Post a Comment