Monday, March 7, 2011

Recipe Swap :: Spinach & Onion Risotto

Risotto.  One of my absolute favorite dishes and will order it out any chance I get.  Risotto is not one of those dishes that I can cook often, as I am usually entertaining a 2 yr. old & 7 month old at the same time as getting dinner on the table.

However, being a part of this recipe swap has given me the opportunity to overcome obstacles (with the chowder) and in this instance, make a dish I normally wouldn't or cook with foods I normally don't.  I like expanding my repertoire and we love trying new things.  This swap was a side dish.  However, we made this for our dinner tonight.  I provided the Buttermilk-Parmesan Mashed Tators this time since we enjoy those every time we have them.

When I got the email with my recipe, I had to chuckle because I received a recipe from Lauren.  She had my recipe last swap too!  What are the chances!

This recipe was very simple, with simple ingredients, but absolutely scrumptious!  The house still has a delicious fragrance of sauteed onions & garlic which has got to be one of my favorite "the kitchen is busy" smells!  My husband doesn't need leftovers for lunch tomorrow and I am thrilled because that means I don't have to share!

Next time we make this (oh, you can bet there will be a next time!), I am going to add cooked chicken sausage or shrimp.

Spinach & Onion Risotto

  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 2 cloves raw garlic, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1/4 cup dry white wine
  • 5 cups low sodium chicken broth, warmed
  • 1 cup arborio rice
  • 1 cup fresh chopped spinach
  • 1/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Melt the butter in the oil over medium heat and saute the onions and garlic. Add the rice; stir for 1-2 minutes. Add the white wine and stir until it is absorbed.

Add the chicken broth 1 ladle-full at a time, letting it fully absorb before adding more. This process takes about 17-25 minutes, depending on the day!

Halfway through, add the cheese.

Before the final ladle of broth, add the spinach.

Season with salt and pepper, if desired.



No comments:

Post a Comment