Thursday, January 26, 2012

Recipe:: French Onion Soup

I know I have said this before but I don't like making soups.  And actually I don't even really like eating soup.  It's just not a type of dish I crave very often, but a few weeks ago, the weather was very wintry here in Jersey and I wanted soup.

As you probably know, I am a huge fan of Gina at Skinnytaste because her dishes are easy, but never lack on taste.  I found a recipe for French Onion soup, my husband's favorite!

I adapted it very slightly, but Dave loved the changes and said it was exactly what French Onion soup should taste like.  Score!  And it was even so delicious that it is on our menu for this week too.  Maybe this is a turning point for soup in my life.

Gina used swiss cheese for her soup, but we used a horseradish cheese from Cabot and it gave the soup a little extra kick.  We made grilled cheeses with that cheese too!

French Onion Soup
adapted from: Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes


Ingredients:

  • 1 1/2 pounds yellow onions, sliced thin
  • 3 tbsp unsalted butter
  • 2 tbsp flour
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1/2 tsp dried thyme
  • 1/4 cup Cognac or brandy
  • 1/4 cups white wine
  • 4 cups beef stock
  • kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
  • 6 medium slices toasted Italian bread
  • Horseradish Cheese (I used Cabot)

Directions: 

    In a large pot, sauté the onions with the butter over medium heat, until the onions are soft and golden, about 20 minutes. Add flour, mixing well another 2-3 minutes. Add thyme, bay leaf, wine and brandy, and simmer uncovered for 10 more minutes.

    Add the beef stock, salt & pepper to taste, reduce heat. Cover and simmer gently for about 20 minutes. Remove bay leaf and ladle 1-1/2 cups soup into 6 oven-proof bowls. Place bowls on a baking sheet. Place sliced toasted bread rounds into each bowl and top bread with cheese. Broil 2 to 3 minutes, until cheese melts.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment